Here’s How You Can Deal With Your AC’s Clogged Air Ducts
Air conditioning has now become a basic necessity. Climate change and global warming have made sure of it that everyone gets an air conditioner in order to survive the summer.
Getting an air conditioner is a good thing because it helps create a calm and comfortable environment, especially to work in or sleep in. Air conditioners were once really expensive but technological advancements and commercialization have made the air conditioner affordable and cheaper to have and use. Nevertheless, AC maintenance is a must in order to work effectively, but many fail to ensure this. As a result, air conditioners tend to have issues like a clogged air duct, clogged filters, etc. This article is all about how you can deal with your air conditioner’s clogged air ducts.
Why do AC air ducts get clogged?
But before we talk about how we can deal with the clogged air ducts of an air conditioner, let us try to understand the various reasons for an air conditioner air duct to get clogged.
● Furnace filter clogged by dust
● Improperly installed furnace filter
● Object lodged inside the duct
● Damaged ductwork
● A malfunctioning damper
● Obstacle obstructing ductwork externally
The above are a few major reasons why air conditioner air ducts get clogged. But now that we know why air conditioner air ducts get clogged, let us try to understand their implications; i.e. what happens as a result of air ducts getting clogged.
Implications of clogged air ducts in an air conditioner
While a clogged air duct may not seem like much, its effects can be quite disastrous if it goes on being unresolved. A clogged air duct can cause air conditioners to:
● Increase power consumption
● Place more strain on electrical and mechanical systems of the air conditioner
● Components inside the air conditioner start to wear down quickly
● The air conditioner decreases in performance and starts malfunctioning
● Icing along the evaporator coils thus inhibiting the evaporator from absorbing heat
● Infiltration of dust and debris resulting in damage to the motor, fan blades and compressor of your air conditioner
How to deal with clogged air ducts
Now that we know why air conditioner air ducts get clogged and what are the effects resulting from the air ducts getting clogged, let us venture into the various ways by which we can deal with clogged air ducts.
- Periodic maintenance – It’s good to just inspect and clean your air conditioner on your own once a month. While maintenance and cleaning services by professionals even once a year might do the trick, it is always better to take precautions.It is often best to leave it to the experts; people who know what they are doing.
- Using air duct caps – Air duct caps are a really great means of preventing dust and other obstructions from entering the air ducts.
- Clearing the surroundings – It is a great idea to clear the surroundings of your air conditioner duct, ensuring that there is nothing obstructing it, like furniture or wall hangings.
- Yearly professional maintenance – It is always a great idea to have your ductworks inspected by a professional set of eyes, at least once a year.